There are a gazillion plug-ins available for WordPress – so many in fact, that the choice can be overwhelming. I’ve narrowed it down to those that HELP.
- Login LockDown
- Login LockDown records the IP address and time stamp of every failed login attempt. If more than a certain number of attempts are detected within a short period of time from the same IP range, then the login function is disabled for all requests from that range. This helps to prevent brute force password discovery. Currently the plugin defaults to a 1 hour lock out of an IP block after 3 failed login attempts within 5 minutes. This can be modified via the Options panel. Administrators can release locked out IP ranges manually from the panel. It also neutralizes the error message .
- I do this for all of my clients as an extra security measure, even if they do lock themselves out occasionally.
- Advanced HTML Editor
- Allows the addition of features that are helpful with formatting, such as tables, font size and color, etc.
- Editor as it comes with the initial installation.
- Editor after customizing.
The Kitchen sink opens more rows. Hovering over each icon will tell you what it is or what it does.
- A nice little widget that helps you plan and display your events, classes, seminars, whatever. Looks like a calendar. Very easy to use.
- A Gallery
- A good way to share a lot of photos. Allows you to add comments or titles to the images. Displays them in a page of thumbnails automatically.Especially good if you are emailing your posts out as subscriptions and need to limit the number of image for email deliver-ability.
- Share This
- Enables you to share your post on Facebook or Twitter with a single click.
Next week we’ll talk about posting to your blog. Do’s and Don’t s and deliver-ability email suggestions. The goal is to reach as many people as possible.
I would also like you to actually VISIT the blog, if you are reading this in an email or on Facebook so that you can see how information is presented and how we can change themes for fun or for branding.